Fred,

Yes, it has everything to do with the impedance range to be matched.
In general, if the impedance is less than 50 ohms, the capacitor will be on the TX side, but if th eimpedance is greater than 50 ohms, it will be on the feedline side.

Look at the equations and conditions for an L-Network and that should be clear.

73,
Don W3FPR