S-Meter readings have exactly NOTHING to do with dynamic range, Scott. This was a discussion, semi-pertinent to Elecraft radios, and that I offered to take off list and now will. I asked for education about SDR's that sampled at the antenna connector vs those, like the K3, that sampled after some superhet and filter magic, and honestly, I'm learning. There are a lot of really smart and knowledgeable folks on this list if you just ask questions.

I made an assumption, for the discussion, that my K3 S-meter was linear [in terms of dB which of course we all know is actually logarithmic]. It was an assumption for the purpose of the discussion, nothing more, to set up the real question I had, and for which I have since gotten a really sensible answer. It might help if folks read the entire thread, S-meter readings had almost nothing to do with it.

I have no idea if my K3 S-meter is accurate above or below S9 and I don't care, I set it there for 50uV=S9. The rest was an assumption for the discussion. And thanks to those who helped me understand a bit more of this.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
- www.cqp.org