hi mike, I'm new to my kx3 kit and guess what I have the same problem you
have described ,hi current on 6m tx but mine is from 4.4w to 5.0w when
running off of mains power supply of 13.8v, it's fine on 5.2w and over ( but
do find that I then get high temp warning after more than 30seconds tx ?
does yours show this symptom aswell ? ) I'm in the middle of trying to
resolve it with help from elecraft ( just been a bit busy of late) , did you
Actually resolve your issue ? , I too have the atu option fitted

regards

Rory

m1vfr