"Are you saying that with VOX off, and no external source of PTT, your
K3 is going into transmit when you operate your key? i.e. you see the
red TX LED light? "

Yes to the first, no to the second.

To explain - in CW mode the K3 sends a PTT signal on the keying line
whenever the key is down. It does not matter if it is a straight key or the
memory, the PTT output is still active in sync with the sidetone. The radio
does not transmit but that's hardly an issue in my case as its only putting
out 1mW at ~28MHz.

The problem is the PTT signal when moving rapidly causes a lot of relay
chattering and bias supply switching, I have not tried it with my 24GHz
which uses a rotating waveguide switch, but I am sure it wouldn't be good
for it.

In VOX mode with QSK I could understand this hapening, but when VOX is off,
you wouldn't expect the key to activate the PTT signal.

A way around that is to have a VOX hang, but that appears only to work on
SSB.