Two Sundays ago, net control DID create a "quiet time" and asked for QRP
stations only to call.

I have great difficulty checking into the net from my location in Pasadena, CA,
partly because I have a very tall mountain range just out the window, and
between me and Oregon, and partly because my K3-10 is drowned out by stations
with  amplifiers.

On this occasion, I was able to check in very easily. So, I concur with those
who have suggested a "low power' segment of the net. Even better, two such
periods would be desirable, the first about five minutes after the net opens,
and about 15 minutes later, to give a second chance for anyone who could't make
it the first time. (Band conditions DO change.)

More active relaying by net participants would also help. On some nets,
stations seem to relay only if asked. On others, they step in to relay if it's
clear that a particular station isn't getting through to NC.  It would be nice
if the Elecraft net adopted the latter approach.

One more thing....if NC has a beam antenna, he might announce " beaming east,
calls from northeast and northern midwest stations only,"  etc.

And let's all give three cheers for Phil for the great job he does as NC!

Lew

Lew Phelps N6LEW
Pasadena, CA DM04wd
Elecraft K3-10