Very interesting story! I recall Rick's R2 (I think it was called) which was an analog precursor to the SDR of today.

I think the lesson is well put. To improve your abilities you have to "train"! That has to be done at or beyond the limits. So to hear better train yourself with "weak signals". To improve your CW push your speed. To qualify as a Marine Recon or NAVY Seal, well .... good luck! You know they train beyond the limits. I have been lucky to work alongside both who were retired vets!

My hearing is very poor, not from rock music but industrial noise. In the 1950-60's no one bothered with hearing protection. But I do know my ability can be improved with training at levels I want to succeed at.

Thanks for the story.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
dubus...@gmail.com