Have you checked the ALC setting? You should have 4 bars of ALC showing when you transmit with the 5th bar flashing. You can use TX test mode to set the ALC without going out on the air.

If you don't have the ALC set correctly, the K3 will start transmitting at less than the power it is set at and slowly increase power as the power measurement feedback corrects the output power.

Cheers - Bill, AE6JV