As a pilot, I use red lighting in the aircraft to view instruments,
read charts, etc.  Red is supposed to affect night vision the least,
but maybe that's for reflected light?  Incident light might be a
different story.  Traffic light green doesn't cause night blindness
that I know of, and we all use it as incident light when driving at
night.

I don't know if amber has such qualities, but I do know I turn down
the K3's backlight to its lowest setting when there is no other
ambient light.  The lowest setting seems to minimize "ghosting" or
whatever the eyeball equivalent of video DC Restoration is.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Mon, 23 Sep 2013 16:40:00 -0700, you wrote:

>On 9/23/2013 2:42 PM, KC9TNH wrote:
>> FYI, if you're going to do as Wayne suggests and just turn the display off
>> aiming a light at it (saving battery drain also) red is NOT the color that
>> best enhances night vision if that matters to you.
>
>Cabin lights [and cockpit lights too] in C=130's were red to keep from
>affecting our night vision capabilities on jump nights.  I was under the
>impression that red affected nightvision less than other colors.  We
>were all colorblind [still are :-)], maybe it didn't matter for us.
>
>I can discern the numeric keypad labels on my K3 only with strong light
>from an angle.  They seem to be just a tad shinier than the button body.
>
>73,
>
>Fred K6DGW
>- Northern California Contest Club
>- CU in the 2013 Cal QSO Party 5-6 Oct 2013
>- www.cqp.org

Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
www.elecraft.com
831-763-4211  x129