Don's little audio board is perfect. I use one in my K2 for all digital modes. Builds in about 30 minutes from parts you can get anywhere including Radio Shack. Sparkfun.com has a nice little 10K trimpot with a knob for less than a buck that works great.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9806

Mine is just foam taped to the side panel. Easily accessed by removing just the side panel.

Eric
KE6US