> I had similar issue running the firmware upgrade through my MicroHam
> microkeyer USB router.

Never perform a firmware upload to *any* rig with a microHAM interface.
Every microHAM Users Manual specifically states the interfaces are not
to be used for firmware uploads.  There are several reasons for this -
some rigs require direct manipulation of RTS and/or DTR to control the
upload process and microHAM does not support that or in the case of the
K3, the radio resets itself in the middle of the upload process which
causes a reset of the communications data parameters.

> Virtual comports seem to have issue with the firmware for the K3.

Like many other "RS-232" control ports, the K3 does not like signaling
voltages much less than +/-10V.  Many newer USB to serial adapters are
being designed for "low power" operation which typically means +/- 8,
5 or even 3.3V signal levels.  Measure the voltage on each of the
pins of your USB to serial adapter and make sure it is not a "low power"
device.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV