Terry,
Whether you use an EMU0202 or any of the other choice for a sound card, the issue gets down to where the 0 is. If you don't use the 8 KHz offset, the center of your sample and the point where you are tuned become the same. By using the offset you move the two apart by telling the SDR software that you are using an 8 KHz. IF. This way things get a little cleaner on the screen. However, by doing a shift, you do lose a feature or two of the radio.

The issue of sample rate is driven by Nyquist theory for sampling. He said you need to sample at 2X the intended bandwidth. That means to me BOTH the I and Q data, and some DSP designers "over sample" at 3X or or more. However to be honest, I really haven't researched this issue of sample rate and displayed bandwidth, yet I do use it. I have only run across this when using SDR receiver display software, so I'm not sure what the designers are really doing. In a past incarnation, when I was playing with early SDR's, we never went below 2X and for some dynamic range issues we went to 4X.

The issue about using 48 KHz. is based solely on the fact that the radio itself does not have a flat response beyond about 48 KHz. I think there is a reference to that in the manual. And, I believe they say you can go to 96 KHZ, but it won't be flat. This is a separate problem/issue not associated with sampling theory.

You are quite correct. What rate you can or should sample at is dependent on the card you go with. I went the '0202 because it was cheaper than some of the others at the time and yet had good specs. But, I suspect that opening this discussion up to sound card choices would be like a discussion on what is the best antenna.:-)

73,
Barry
K3NDM