The LDG Z-11, Z-11Pro, and RT-11 have all tuned successfully over the years with the output of my 3-watt Sierra and my 2-4 watt KX1, let alone my Herculean KX3. I'm not sure where the LDG folks are coming from in their comment about needing a higher power for their units to tune. That's one of the parameters that has caused me to chose LDG products over the years as opposed to SGC.

I tried several years ago to convince Wayne of the utility of offering a remote antenna tuner with the Elecraft name on it. The T1 doesn't quite fill the bill. Something that's weather resistant and that will run on internal batteries. 150 watt capability with SWR's as high as 10:1. Option of coax or single post voltage output, similar to the Icom AH-4. Autosense high SWR's and tune functions. I'd buy one in a minute as I enjoy Elecraft's quality and creative products.

I have my "coffee table special" QRP station in the middle of the family room. A Rose Kopp radio cover decreases the visual impact when not in use. A coax cable to the far side of the room energizes an LDG-Z11Pro and that feeds a balun connecting ladderline out the basement window to a 234' loop around the house. Autotuning is truly automatic and I'm on the air with no fuss 160 through 10 meters without getting out of a chair.

There's something appealing about the above station on a night I don't feel like wandering over to the shack and firing up the big rig! I also run the Z11Pro with internal batteries when I'm the DX in Bonaire, Curacao, and operating in the field in Wisconsin. It's easier to run coax to a non-resonant multiband antenna than ladderline.

73,

Andy W9NJY
Milwaukee

Julie, The KX3 power in CW and data modes is *not* limited to 5 watts (except when running it on internal batteries). I believe the solution to your problem can be found in the TUN PWR menu parameter - see page 40 of the manual. The power level set there will be transmitted when you do a TUNE (not an ATU TUNE). Yours is most likely set to NOR for which the TUNE power is the same as the power knob. TUNE will send a carrier (CW) no matter what mode the KX3 is set to. 73, Don W3FPR On 10/13/2013 1:01 PM, Julie Royster wrote:

The LDG tech support folks say that a 5-watt KX3 output is not enough to
trigger tuning by their product.
We will eventually have the Elecraft tuner for KX3 when it ships, but for
now what selection of modes & power etc on KX3 would give me the
highest-wattage signal for the autotuner?  If I understand it correctly, PSK
and CW are limited to 5 watts by the KX3, right?