Howard,

There has been only one firmware update in the life of the KX1 - to version 1.02. That added support for 80 meters (not needed for the KXB30) and also added scanning.

If one has an older KX1 (with version 1.01 firmware), and orders the KXB3080, the updated firmware is provided at no extra cost. Note that you must specify that your firmware is back level when you order the KXB3080 or it will not be sent - most KX1s now have version 1.02 - it has been shipping in KX1s since 2007.

Yes, the KX1 Power Mod can be applied to KX1s that have low power output (the parts are supplied with the KXB3080 kit), but if the output is already in the 3 to 4 watt range with a 13.8 volt supply, that mod should not be installed. Exceeding 4 watts with the KX1 can cause damage to the PA output components if significant SWR is present.

I responded on the 25th to Paul with whatever information I could provide. If you scroll down on the Elecraft KX1 Product page to "KXB3080 installation" you will see my name mentioned there. I do most of the KX1 repairs for Elecraft, so Paul already has the latest information that I am aware of (Elecraft keeps me well informed on anything related to the KX1 - as well as the K1, K2 and XV series transverters).

73,
Don W3FPR