A message from N5DG gave me the tip I needed. As had been suggested earlier to me, I had tried the Yaesu setting on the amplifier menu. When you bring up Yaesu on the SBE menu it asks for what rig and lists a number of their radios - and at the bottom of the list - which I did not notice until N5DG pointed me at it - an entry for "Band Data". I set to that and voila! It works exactly as expected.

My early impressions of the amp are very good. The manual is "difficult" but once you ave waded through that and get it going it is very nice. It effortlessly puts out 1500 watts with about 30 watts of drive. The fan noise is blessedly low until you transmit; then the fan speeds up but as soon as you stop transmitting it drops to low again presuming the temperatures are OK. So far they have been.

Again, thanks to ED, N5DG and to all on the relector.

Cheers/73

Bob W9KNI