Sent: Sunday, November 03, 2013 9:15 PM
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] K2 #7379 troubleshooting

Brian,

If the test oscillator crystal is at 10 MHz, it *should* be very attenuated by the 40 meter Low Pass Filter. The K2 40 meter LPF cutoff is in the range of 8.5 MHz, so it cannot be expected to pass a 10 MHz signal.

If you have a crystal in the 40 meter band, you could substitute it for the 10 MHz crystal and try those measurements again.

If you do not have such a crystal, go forward in the Troubleshooting procedure to Transmit Signal Tracing and try those steps. Do not skip the oscillator checks - VFO and BFO that are in the Receiver Signal Tracing part of the tests.

One thing about the Signal Tracing steps - work in the order listed, one point depends on the one before it being OK. Once you come to the first step where the output is significantly (greater than 10%) lower than the Expected value, stop because you have just found the output side of the failure point - it will be fruitless to go on to other check points.

73,
Don W3FPR