Soldering PL-259 connectors:

First use a good connector like Amphenol 83-ISP. Plating on cheap connectors the biggest obstacle to getting a good solder connection. I swear every time I have to use a RS PL-259 and vow never again.

Preparation of RG-8 is different from RG-58 which uses a UG-175/U insert (UG-176/U for mini-8 coax).

I'm not going to go over stripping jacket and center insulation, etc. ARRL Handbook shows this well enough.

The trick in getting a good solder connection with the shield is using large enough solder iron with big tip and heat turned up. Lots of heat and high temp makes the solder flow faster and limits heating insulation.

Another trick is to use a small round file and run the file across the solder holes in the connector which will make a U-shaped groove across the hole and thin the metal a bit. Another trick I use is to wipe down any solder connection with alcohol to remove machining oil that is present on all new connectors, pc boards, etc.

The with iron hot and tip properly tinned heat the connector for a couple seconds and then apply a little solder. Keep iron applied until solder flows (10 seconds or so). If it takes more time than that your solder iron is not hot enough or large enough (at least 50w).

I clamp my coax cables in a small panavise to hold the connector. After soldering one hole the next holes will heat faster (connector is HOT). But be careful not to apply heat too long or the insulation will melt in the coax and the connector at which point cut off the ruined connector and start over with a new connector.
Actually I hate PL-259's and avoid their use except where necessary. My connectors of choice are either BNC or N. I prefer the type that use a back compression nut and anvil to clamp the shield vs crimp style. Never use a connector that crimps the center pin. I do make up RG-58 and mini-8 crimped N and BNC jumper cables if they will not be flexed a lot. Crimp style connectors for test cables are the quick way to the mental asylum!

Recently I have been using LMR-240 instead of RG-58; totally different approach to making up connections.

73, Ed - KL7UW
http://www.kl7uw.com
dubus...@gmail.com
"Kits made by KL7UW"