On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 13:59:14 -0500, W2RU - Bud Hippisley wrote:

> If a transmission line is lossy, the SWR will get progressively lower as you
> move closer to the transmitter.  In an extreme case (such as 1000 feet of old
> RG-58 or worse, at high enough frequencies), there will be so much loss in
> the line that EVERY antenna will look like 50 ohms back at the transmitter
> and the SWR will be 1:1 there!  So the transmitter end of the line is the
> LEAST useful end to look at SWR.

Correct.  If the line is long (lossy) enough, a dead short will look
fine at the transmitter end.

I wish Smith charts had been spoken of and understood back when I got
started.  To this day, I do not understand them in the least.  I wish I
did.  I am one who, most of the time, can no longer read something in
text and transform it to new knowledge.  It needs to be 'splained to me
in a one on one dialog.  SWR was measured by taping a short piece of
twinlead (more to it than that) against your line and looking to see
which light bulb lit up the strongest.  :o)  The RF ammeter was used for
peaking output.

Off I go to try again to find another explanation of Smith charts.

Gary
http://ag0n.net
3055: http://ag0n.net/irlp/3055
NodeOp Help Page: http://ag0n.net/irlp