Bill:

The intent is that you can keep the tuner in auto or perhaps better manual.
When you tune initially at 3550 and press ATU tune, the tune search quickly
finds the ATU bypassed setting is appropriate because the SWR when L and C are
bypassed is 1.2 or better.  It saves "bypassed" as the preferred tuner solution
for that frequency,. Thereafter when you transmit on 3550 in Mode Auto or
Manual, the ATU loads the bypassed tuner solution.

Further up the band the ATU finds that a little L and C helps, so when you
first tune there, the ATU stores that solution for that frequency.  Without
changing mode, the ATU can load the appropriate tuner setting, which may be
bypassed on 3550.

In mode manual and auto the bypassed tuner solution is exactly the same relay
settings as you get with mode bypass; all the inductors and capacitor relays
are bypassed. There is no ATU loss advantage to being in mode bypass vs mode
manual or auto and the bypassed tuner solution.

To answer you other question, in mode bypass the ATU won't retune.  If the SWR
exceeds a configurable threshold, it can interrupt your amp.  That is the VSWR
threshold for amp interrupt. I think we default it high, but you can set it to
3 or 5 to 1.  Some amps are touchy about having the key line changed with RF
flowing.

But to avoid having to remember, consider letting the ATU tune at 3550.  The
KAT500 Utility operate page will help you understand the tuner solution found.
The bypass VSWR shown is the VSWR measured with the ATU bypassed, the SWR of
your antenna without correction. The full search tune algorithm tries
"Bypassed" as its very first try.

If you would prefer a different SWR threshold for the bypassed tune solution,
it can be changed in Edit Configuration, VSWR threshold, bypass SWR.  I think I
have mine at 1.5 or so. Some people like to see really low SWR, some prefer
fewer changes as long as the amp stays happy.

73 de Dick, K6KR