Mark (K7MJG...this is going to get confusing!),

Re:  <<Something easier to implement than what I suggested would be to simply
*not*
change the AF/RF mode on a band change.  That way, there would be no
additional menu option to implement... >>

Excellent idea!  Sometimes simpler isbetter.

I, too, tend to operate with the AF up and use RF gain to control the volume
any time the band is noisy.  Makes sense in a radio that has an RF amplifier up
front, but not sure it is as helpful with the KX3 (but I still do it).  I
haven't really seen a need to control this on a per-band basis, though.  I like
your idea since it follows the KISS principle, reduces "code bloat", and lets
me configure my radio with one button press.

The other Mark,
KE6BB
(Told you this was going to get confusing)!