Fred Jensen wrote:

> I volunteer at the local blood bank and recording times is important to
> the documentation of the process.  Consequently, they installed "atomic
> clocks", our little center has 5 of them, not all the same mfr,
> scattered around to be visible to the staff.  I've watched them differ
> by more than 90 seconds at times, and rarely are any two of them in sync.

I run six WWVB-controlled clocks here in north Alabama.  I have never
observed any variance between their indicated times, nor with them in
comparison to WWV's voice signal, except that sometimes the automatic
transition between standard and daylight savings time occurs one day
late on some models.  The WWVB signal comes in strongly here, and can
be easily heard even on my old TS-50S that has been modified to tune
that low.

Phil Kane wrote:

> If my present analog "ship radio room" quartz clock dies, I may
> reconsider it.

Is your "radio room" clock actually a product designed for that role in
the old part 81 Maritime Morse station service?  I've never seen one of
those with a quartz movement.  I have two Seth Thomas WWII Maritime
Commission Radio Room Clocks (one from the Liberty ship SS Otis Skinner,
struck by kamikaze attack 01/12/1945), and one made by Chelsea.  These
likely saw service on the Main Transmitter panel section of the 1943
RMCA 4U Radio Console that was standard on so many WWII Victory and
Liberty ships.  I've never seen any radio room clock that was more modern.

Back to modern times...I wonder why the KX3 RT clock isn't one that is
much more accurate over a long period of time than it is.  I purchased
a $15 Casio watch several months ago that gains only one second after
43 days!  There was an element of luck getting one with such accurate
rate, but when I think "real-time clock" in today's radio world, I
expect something that is comparable to what the typical dirt-cheap
quartz wrist watch can produce, with reasonably constant and small
drift measured in seconds from week to week, not minutes.

Mike / KK5F