Hi Gerry,

LiFePO4 Rechargeable Batteries
High Performance —High capacity as high as 165mah/g - light weight for capacity
Long Cycle Life: up to 2000 cycles (8x of Lead Acid and 3-4x of Li-ion)
Extremely Safe/Stable Chemistry: will not explode or catch fire under collision over charged or short circuit; hi thermal stability of phases up to 500C
3.2V per cell, thus 4 cell pack nominal voltage 13.2V

LiPo Rechargeable Batteries
Even higher performance, 210mah/g - very light weight for capacity
Shorter Cycle Life: up to 500 recharges.
Unstable Chemistry: can explode or catch fire during charging. Can only use with specialized chargers Used extensively with RC vehicles requiring light weight - high current discharge
3.7V per cell, thus 4 cell pack nominal voltage 14.8V

Both are possibilities for portable operation with KX3 (LiPo need a little voltage reduction circuitry to keep it under 15V at full charge). Both much lighter an equivalent Sealed Lead Acid battery.

See this page for further details - http://www.batteryspace.com/hi-powerli-popacks.aspx.

Hope this helps,

Gary