Maybe I don't understand your problem, but I don't know why you need the K3 command strings. You should be able to click on the 'Settings' menu, then click on 'Rig Interface.' On this screen select Elecraft for the radio type, select the serial port, baud rate, etc... Then when you click the 'Test' button it will start polling the radio. If everything is working correctly, the frequency and mode will come up in the black boxes.

Mike
KI0HA