On 12/23/2013 1:58 PM, Richard Ferch wrote:
Fred, as far as N1MM Logger is concerned you have DTR and RTS backwards.
N1MM Logger supports CW keying on DTR of a serial port but not on RTS,
whereas it supports PTT switching on either DTR or RTS.

The odds that I'd get that wrong without checking were very close to 1.000 :-))

If you want to use CW keying on the K3's radio control port, you would
configure N1MM Logger to use DTR on that port for CW, and set the K3's
CONFIG:PTT-KEY to OFF-DTR.

I used to let N1MM key the K3 on DTR and honestly, it worked fine nearly 100% of the time. Every now and then, unpredictable, Windoze would decide it had some little task that was more important than running my program and I'd get semi-CW at 130WPM for a second or so.

For a more flexible and powerful solution, you can connect a K1EL
Winkeyer or WKUSB between the computer and the K3's Key In jack and
configure the software to use that.

That's what I finally did.  Don't even have a paddle plugged into the WKUSB.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org