Paul,

If you look at the schematic, you should see that the output jack is a stereo type with both channels connected together. That means your stereo headphones should receive the same signal in both channels. Try turning the phones backwards and see if the louder channel reverses - if it does, then the headphones are not balanced (maybe one is faulty). OTOH, if the weaker channel stays with the same ear, your hearing in that ear is diminished.

Your observation with the mono speaker plug is what is to be expected - when you push the plug in all the way, you are shorting the output due to the sleeve of the plug contacting the jack's normal ring connection.

73,
Don W3FPR