Mike and All,

Not sure what was so humorous exactly, about "Full QRQ break-in", but my reaction would be more like "are you kidding me?" . "Full QRQ break-in" says two things--Not only does it have QSK capability (the "full break-in" part of that phrase), but also at really high CW speeds (QRQ), which a lot of other amps, and rigs for that matter, cannot do. That's another world as far as I'm concerned.

Actually, the K3 was, at one point, a bit lacking on the QRQ aspect as far as some of the really super high speed folks were concerned. However, in just another instance of how Elecraft responds to customer requests, they resolved that issue to just about everyone's satisfaction as far as I know. I'm guessing that the KPA500 will very effectively coordinate with the increased capability of the K3. A good friend of mine, who is an excellent CW op and one of the QRQ folks who encouraged Elecraft to improve this aspect of the K3, is now apparently fully satisfied with the results. I'm not sure what the upper limit is now, but I think it is in the neighborhood of 70 to 80 wpm now--maybe faster. I'm not slow, but this is way out of my realm of operation, and I didn't even know the issue existed.

In any event, if the K3 had been a product of any other manufacturer, this "deficiency" would probably never had been resolved, except perhaps by a "new improved" model. Additionally, the KPA500 probably would not have been designed as capably either by another manufacturer, or even by Elecraft, had it not been for their close attention to customer requests and requirements. I'm pretty sure that one of the objectives in the design of the KPA500 was NOT to inhibit the capabilities of the K3.

As I said, I'm not a "QRQ type", but I do plod along at a decent clip using QSK. It constantly amazes me how seamlessly the KPA500 follows along, and is whisper quiet! No clicks, no clacks, just green bars! Even if the fan comes on I have to strain to hear it. I've never been much of an amp user either, until now, but I have used other amps now and then. All of those other amps tended to drive me crazy with the racket they produce. As long as I used headphones, I think I could operate the K-line in church and nobody would notice!

Dave W7AQK