>> Transmitters do not require type acceptance or certification.  We as
>> licensed amateur radio operators are free to build or modify our
>> transmitters at will.

Here in Japan, it is different story. All transmitters must be certified by
either JARD Technical Standard Certification Number or set-by-set assessment
with either document or transmitter itself.
Japanese government applies the same principles for commercial stations to
amateur stations with as much as flexibility within the principle. One such
principle is that transmitter must be certified. So, whatever transmitter you
have built or bought need to get certified before using for transmission

73 de JH3SIF, Keith