Doug,
    Nice write up.
Other Readers,
I'd like to make a comment about the antenna as I know more than just a little about the things. An off center fed, OCF, dipole is not a magic antenna as some hams have come to believe. They are just a good wire antenna that is fed in a way to make them appear to have a 50 Ohm impedance. They are based on the 1/2 wave dipole which only has a workable impedance at 1/2 wave. At even multiples of a 1/2 wave, the antenna exhibits a high impendance which most radios do not like. So, way back in radio history a smart guy said if I don't feed the dipole in the center I can find a spot that looks like 300 Ohms and use a transformer to make it look like 50 Ohms over several bands. When he invented that antenna, the only odd band was 15 meters. What that meant was that if you created an 80 meter OCF dipole, you could use it on 40, 20, and 10 meters, without a tuner.

The basic 1/2 wave dipole antenna can be awesome if hung up at some reasonable height. When fed in the center it is going to have a very high SWR, which means you need to be careful of transmission line loss and have some way to deal with the SWR. Open wire feeders handle the loss issue and a very good tuner does the rest. Or you go to the OCF dipole and use a 6:1 CURRENT balun or balun and line isolator.

When a dipole is operated at multiples of a 1/2 wave you can actually develops gain in the plane of the antenna. How much gain and lobe direction is a function of how many 1/2 waves the antenna is.

Those of you who want a good basic antenna and don't want to spent a lot and can get it up about 30-35 feet or higher go for the OCF dipole. I think you'll be happy. I have one up in my yard at about 40' on one end and about 35 on the other( it has to do with the slope of the land) and, as Doug, I work out everywhere. There are several sources for the basic OCF antenna and a source for a variant that I run. However, building one is a snap. Just go to Home Depot and buy 135' of #12 stranded insolated house wire ( color is unimportant ) have it cut such that the cut is about a 1/3 of the way off an end. Pick up some insulators at a hamfest and order either a 4:1 or 6:1 CURRENT balun. feed the beast with some low loss or reasonable loss cable, and then sit back and have fun. I would expect DXCC in 30 days, band conditions being good.

Some final comments. I use #12 insulated, stranded wire just for the extra strength. I don't want to be puting up a new antenna every time we have high winds or ice. You could use #14 which most use, but like I said I don't want to have to re-install my antenna. You will need an antenna tuner, but that is OK as you will now be able to use the antenna on all bands 80-10. Lastly, if you don't have 135' feed of horizontal space you could bend the ends down to fit if it represents a minor portion of the antenna Or you could build a 40 meter version using 66' of wire and just not work 80 effectively; I can actually get mine to tune on 80, but it isn't great.

73,
Barry
K3NDM