Boy, are you ever going to get overwhelmed with info, Mark! :-))

You might want to join the NASOTA Yahoo Group and post your question there too, they're the folks that climb summits with radios and there is a huge amount of field antenna experience to be mined there.

[insert all the usual disclaimers here, I'm retired and I have no financial interest in any product I am about to name]

I had a full-up commercial BP for quite awhile. It is very well constructed, very sturdy, and customer service is very good. There is a BP Yahoo crowd full of good info. It is also quite heavy, relatively speaking, and takes awhile to set up and get tuned ... I had "recipes" for the tuning but still needed the impedance bridge. Despite pictures of a variety of arrangements for the BP, there really seem to be only two -- ground plane vertical and low OCF loaded dipole. Mine worked OK, best in vertical GP configurations where height doesn't mean as much as in horizontal ones.

I finally sold it and bought an Alexloop. The cost is about the same although you can HB a resonant loop pretty easy for a lot less. It's a magnetic loop and is really a resonant transformer. It is MUCH lighter, way fewer parts, and I can set it up and take it down in about 5 min. I use it on a tripod for a Rain Bird sprinkler I got at Home Depot, it's a couple feet above me when I'm operating, and I can adjust the tuning. The Alex covers 40-10, although the loop isn't really large enough for 40m and the tuning is quite critical. 30m is better and it works great above 30m.

Many of the SOTA crowd use end-fed half-wave wires. They are extremely light [just wire and a transformer], and they are fairly immune to the issue of "Where is the RF Ground?" They do require at least one support to get them up into the air.

I'm pretty happy with my loop, it works at least as good as the BP, and it is easy to carry and set up. Those who run up mountains [NASOTA has them :-)] like stuff even lighter. Field operation, on a mountain top or in a local park is truly a lot of fun. There are a lot of field operating events, and Elecraft has some really cool field radios. I use my KX1 in the Spartan Sprint each month, and I use my K2 for summit activations. It's an element of ham radio that didn't really exist when I was a teenager.

For the record, I'm 73 and a little orthopedically challenged so you need to adjust the above to make sense for your current age and physical situation. Good luck, antennas are one of the last bastions of home brew in ham radio.

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org