John,

The diode drop is likely the primary culprit. If you must use a series diode, use a Shottky diode (like a 1N5711) and not a silicon diode (like a 1N4148).

The key input goes to a microprocessor digital I/O pin inside the KXPA100, and a diode drop - especially with a significant series resistance -- puts the detected voltage in the indeterminate region.

73,

Lyle KK7P

So, I got my KXPA100 kit and have assembled it. But I'm having trouble keying it with my transceiver ...There is a 560 ohm resistor in series internally, along with diodes...