D-104 microphones with the amplifier in the base work just fine with modern rigs. Look at the bottom of the microphone - if it has a hole with an adjustable potentiometer below the hole, it has the amplifier.

The Heil rebuild kit is not needed unless the mic element is bad. The frequency shaping of the Astatic mic element is very similar to the Heil HC-5 mic element, but the Astatic element needs to work into a high impedance (100k to 1 megohm) to preserve that shaping. In an all-tube transmitter, that high impedance was presented by the grid of the microphone amplifier. Those D-104 mics with an amplifier will work into a much lower impedance mic input without any change.

The old crystal elements could go bad if exposed to temperature extremes or rough handling, but the more common ceramic elements are practically indestructible. Astatic made these microphones over a long period of time dating back to the 1950s or before, and there were changes from time to time.

73,
Don W3FPR