Strange thing happened on 20m two nights ago on 14.023. I was listening to all
the mayhem with huge pileup on FT5ZM earlier in the evening. The DX station was
still strong but around 0434Z the callers started to disappear. I decided to
take the KPA500 offline and worked with a barefoot KX3. Still working split 5
up, I called the DX and sure enough he answered back with a 579 report. The
other DXpeditions I have worked QRP is CY0P (Sable Island) which is only 1100
miles away and XR0ZR Juan Fernandez Is which at less than 5000 miles does not
even qualify for 1000 miles per watt. Amsterdam Island is 11900 miles away and
it still amazes me that a 5 watt CW signal can travel halfway around the world
and be decoded by another radio amateur. They are running K3's on the other end
- so a KX3 to K3 QSO. It still did not best my 500 milliwatt QSO to Chile
CE2AWW which is a personal best 9500 miles per watt. Incidentally, Chilean op
was also running a K3. That was a K2 to K3 QSO. So thi
 s my 34th better than 1000 miles per watt QSO.

Way to go Elecraft guys.

73 Ariel NY4G

Sent from my iPad