From: Wayne Burdick <n...@elecraft.com>
To: todd ruby <t...@ruby-wine.com>
Cc: Elecraft Reflector Reflector <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] XVTR IF BAND CAN NOW BE 10 OR 18 MHZ

There's no particular benefit to an 18-MHz I.F. But 10 MHz can be useful for VLF/LF transverters (e.g., 500 kHz) because very high-stability 10-MHz oscillators (OCO's, or oven-controlled oscillators, etc.) are available at low cost for use as the mixer injection oscillator. This combined with the K3's excellent stability can allow the use of extremely narrowband modes that require very low drift.

73,
Wayne
N6KR

73, Ed - KL7UW