From: elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net
[mailto:elecraft-boun...@mailman.qth.net] On Behalf Of Jack Chomley
Sent: 07 February 2014 01:23
To: stan levandowski
Cc: Elecraft List
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] (OT) -- Regarding the QRP Discussion

I would not say the Omniangle is a compromise antenna if it works :-) The
operator had nothing else to compare it with and was able to make many
contacts with it!
We would all like a big Yagi I guess, but they weigh more than a few pounds.
The thrill really, is doing more......with less!
Incidentally, I am about to find out just how good an Omniangle on 20 metres
is, Dale shipped mine out, earlier this week.

73,

Jack VK4JRC

Club.    www.cqara.org.au
Member WIA SARL ARRL
GQRP       #14392
QRPARCI #15068
VKQRP.    #833

> On 7 Feb 2014, at 11:05 am, stan levandowski <sjl...@optonline.net> wrote:
>
> FYI - if any Listers here happened to work 3DA0US in the last couple of
days, you might be interested to  learn that he was running a KX3 at between
5 and 10 watts depending upon his DC input level.  His antenna was a PAR
Omni Angle on a 22 foot fiberglass pole.  He made 400 contacts in two days
of operating and he was only on a few hours each day.  In a couple of weeks
he'll be operating as 7P8US with the same rig and antenna.

> The PAR Omni Angle is only a 7 foot aluminum rectangle with a matching
network and it only weighs a couple of pounds.  Most hams would probably dub
the Par Omni Angle a "suboptimal" or "compromise" antenna.

> A well versed operator, knowledge of propagation, patience, preparation,
perseverance and top shelf equipment goes a long way to offset the handicap
of a "compromise" antenna.