On 2/7/2014 5:44 AM, WILLIS COOKE wrote:

I do not like the idea of converting CB radios.

While the FCC [and I'm told other national communications regulatory agencies too] has steadily decreased their regulation of amateur radio transmitting equipment, there still ARE technical emission standards in the rules. The several CB transceivers "converted" to 10 meters that I've seen did NOT meet those standards.

I doubt that a 10 meter transceiver aimed at Technican class licensees will catch on. But then, when I first read in one of the IEEE Transactions of a telephone you carried around with you that communicated with low-power computerized stations that could pass your phone call from one to the other, I said to my cubemate, "That'll never catch on."

To get a ham license
without going through a CB phase you need to be as old as I am (73)
or nearly so and license as a child (15 for me) to remember when 11
meters was a ham band.  There are only a few of us codgers that
qualify to remember the 11 meter ham band and way fewer who actually
made a ham transmission there. (I did not!)

I did. Pre CB, 11 meters was an ISM band [medical diathermy and the like] and as hams, we could do just about anything we wanted to so long as we confined our emissions to the band. Several of my high school nerd friends and I experimented with full-duplex AM and CW ... we were close enough to each other that signals were strong enough to overcome the receiver desense. For those not familiar, full duplex classed as A0 emission which was prohibited elsewhere.

I too am 73, I was licensed as a 13 year old, and I resent being called a "codger."

73,

Fred K6DGW
- Northern California Contest Club
- CU in the 2014 Cal QSO Party 4-5 Oct 2014
- www.cqp.org