The K3 power control is a closed loop system, and the loop gain will vary a bit with variations in the K3 RF chain gain.

While it would be ideal if the control loop could be critically damped for all K3s, I don't think that is practical because of component tolerances giving rise to variations in the RF TX gain.

IMHO it is better to make the loop gain be a bit overdamped than to allow it to be underdamped which would permit power spikes which drive some modern amplifiers 'wild'.

Yes, too much overdamping is not good - unfortunately the response time varies with the mode. Hopefully a compromise can be found that will satisfy all K3s.

73,
Don W3FPR

> Meanwhile it lags a little in this mode, which is hopefully just a
> minor inconvenience.

It's more than a little lag <G> - particularly on those occasions the lower level is nearly 3 dB low to start. I'm looking forward to the next one. Perhaps the update rate should be adaptive - fast for the
first couple seconds of a transmission and then slowing down after the
power has had a chance to stabilize ...

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV