ORIGINAL MESSAGE:          (may be snipped)

On 2/10/2014 9:14 AM, Larry Wassmann wrote:
the majority of reported problems have something to do with the digital modes.
I am always amazed that a ham will go out and buy the latest rig, tower,
anteannas, and such and try to run it all on a peanut whistle computer. Believe
me when I say after spending my life working with computers everyday, there are
a bunch of hams who should not be left alone in a room with a computer. 😊

REPLY:

"Peanut whistle computer"? I've been using digital modes, RTTY and others, since 1993 and I have yet to find a computer that will not run these digital programs satisfactorily. None of the digital modes presently being used by hams demand much of a computer as long as it can run Windows XP or later and has enough com ports.

Having said that however, I agree with the very last part of your post. Some people have endless problems with computers and need help with even the simplest things. I have a non-ham friend who calls me about once a week with problems, most of which are repeats of previous calls. He is a smart guy but just has a mental block about computers. Sigh.

73, Bill W6WRT