From: Ralf Wilhelm <r...@super-deutschland.net>
Cc: "Elecraft@mailman.qth.net" <Elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Subject: Re: [Elecraft] Antenna question

Hi George,

The 130 feet corresponds to lambda/2 on 80 and you can use the far field approximation (that Ed is using) there...

At short distances (less than a quarter or a sixth of the wavelength), however, 1/r^2 and 1/r^3 ("near field") components of E and H fields are still present (or dominant) and the far field approximation should not be used. You also have to be careful with the cross-polarization argument, since the electrical near field has all three vector components almost anywhere in space and the coupling can be much higher (depending on how well symmetry is preserved in the "yagi+vertical system").

Better use a NEC based program (e.g. EZNEC or the free 4nec2), if you have on access to a milliwatt-meter/scope and have to calculate...

By the way, P should read
P= E*I = E^2/R
=>  E=sqrt(P*R)=223mV
for a 0dBm (S9+67dB) signal (?)