Well, I was speaking of my situation.

I'm in the Sonoran Desert of southern AZ with ground that varies from granite to sand to caliche within a few feet distance.

Although many (most?) hams consider vertical antennas to be "low-angle" radiators, they often fail to consider the efficiency of that "low-angle" radiator. My modeling shows that even a low lambda dipole with its "high-angle" radiation often has more signal radiated at the vertical's optimum (low) angle than the vertical does. Plotting the two antennas and overlaying the plots will easily show this.

Now I'm not going to argue with the guys with heroic vertical phased array installations and the like, but for the typical guy contemplating a modest vertical installation v. a straightforward dipole or "inverted-vee" I would (and did) choose the dipole. Besides, I think that low angle is often overrated.

Although I'm normally loath to state anecdotal evidence, my paralleled wires 40 and 80-meter inverted-vee with apex at 40 ft and ends at 20 feet models as a NVIS antenna, but I have 148 DXCC countries (including antipodal FT5ZM) worked on 80-meters and I don't much care for 80-meters so seldom operate there.

Wes  N7WS