David;

Garbled how? Does it still send valid CW characters? Are you using a K1EL
Winkeyer?  (I ask because WriteLog does not support the internal K3 key
command).
Have you checked the connections between the computer, keyer and K3?

Many contest programs will send data to the WinKeyer, then edit it on the fly
before it goes out. Is it possible that this is happening, and that the data
going into the WinKeyer is getting messed up? I have seen RFI problems at times
in my own Winkeyer.

Lots of questions, and the answers will lead a long ways to resolving the
problem…

73,

Jack Brindle, W6FB