On 2/21/2014 7:43 PM, WA7SPY wrote:
> What is the recommended max power setting for the amp using PSK31 with a KX3?

In the K3, the limiting factor in some digital modes (notably PSK) is not thermal capability of the radio or amplifier, it is linearity. The linearity limit depends on the particular digital mode in use, and it may also vary depending on the mode used in the radio. For PSK31 and its higher-speed brethren, using the radio's DATA A mode, power settings no higher than half the maximum power rating of the transmitter should be used. This will ensure that the maximum instantaneous peaks of the transmitted signal are not clipped (in PSK these peaks can be up to twice as high as the average transmitted power). I can't speak from personal experience for the KX3, but given the similarity in the way the transmitter power is controlled, I would expect it to be the same as the K3. Using the KXPA100, keeping the power setting below 50 watts should avoid non-linearity.

73,
Rich VE3KI