I can also add backup to that as well - I have K3 SN 20 fully upgraded.
It may not be relevant to the initial question, but the same thing applies to the K2 - yes, there was a borad change at SN 3000, but upgrade kits were available at modest cost to bring the older board up to the same level except for minor and inconsequential differences. The K2 upgrades continued through about SN 4660 and after that no further upgrades were made. The result is that even the lowest K2 serial number can perform just like a brand new K2 thanks to the way Elecraft has handled upgrades. If you would like to compare my SN 20 K2 against a brand new K2, just come over to my workbench - I can show you that the performance is equal.

No model number changes that require you to purchase a new transceiver to get the benefits of the change - just get the upgrade kit and install it and you have a new and improved transceiver.
It is just the way Elecraft does business.

73,
Don W3FPR