To: "Elecraft" <elecraft@mailman.qth.net>
Sent: Sunday, November 27, 2005 3:59 AM
Subject: [Elecraft] CQ WW

You can get complacent with the excellent K2
performance but a good contest weekend reaffirms
just how good it is. I haven't really been chasing "Qs"
in this one but having fun comparing the K2 with my
"other" radio, an ICOM 706Mk2G, a nice enough
BC band and SWL radio.

With a really crowded band the K2 sounds clean
between individual signals and shows no tendency
to overload whereas the 706 (with optional 250Hz
filter) just sounds continuously "muddy" with a
significantly elevated noise floor. Signals that
are solid copy on the K2 can be totally covered
by the noise. My favorite K2/706 comparison is
when W6YX, 3 miles "by crow" from my QTH,
is pointing NE from its hilltop right down my
throat. The 706 simply collapses and is unusable
for signals less than about 25kHz away whereas
the K2 doesn't even know he's there until
you get within about 2kHz.

And you don't have to pay $10k for the
luxury!

Doug