Ed:

Here are a few relevant numbers:
XV144:  NF = 0.8 dB
SP144VDG:  NF=0.55 dB, gain=24 dB, 25w max rating
Coax Loss for 25-feet:
RG-58= 1.25 dB
RG-213= 0.55 dB
LMR400= 0.38

With SP144VDG at antenna:
system NF=0.61 dB using 25 feet of RG-58
system NF=0.60 dB using 25 feet of LMR-400
so it doesn't matter what coax you run

Assuming sky temp of 250K at 2m (probably the best one will see somewhere out in the desert)
receiver sensitivity for SSB is in the range of -138 dBm, which is excellent.

For urban noise levels sky temp of 500K, receiver sensitivity is -136 dBm
with SP144VDG at XV144 and 25 foot of coax to antenna:
system NF= 0.93 dB using 25 foot of LMR-400
system NF= 1.10 dB using 25 foot of RG-213
system NF= 1.80 dB using 25 foot of RG-58
coax makes a big difference in NF.

sky temp=250K: sensitivity = -138.4 dBm with LMR-400 and sensitivity= -137.6 dBm with RG-58 sky temp=500K: sensitivity = -136.4dBm with LMR-400 and sensitivity= -135.9 dBm with RG-58

I looked up in QRZ.com and Trinidad, CA looks pretty rural so maybe you can use the lower sky temperature figure for estimating performance.

So what does this tells us:
Preamp at antenna is best (we knew that) and one can run cheap coax (without degrading NF and sensitivity).

If you keep preamp in the shack then you want to use good low loss coax for best performance.

Considering that you may not have a lot of stations nearby and making long-distance contacts involving weak signals, I would put the preamp at the antenna. The SP144VDG is self-switching with RF sensing so only 12v need be provided. This is a very simple setup so why not install it at the antenna?

I will say that I normally use external coax relays with plain preamps, but I have installed on a 2m yagi a RF sensed ARR preamp for simplicity for use with a FM 2m radio. It works very nicely with stations 70+ miles away running FM simplex. It is "almost" as sensitive as my my four-yagi eme array+ preamps ( but not quite). I run 80 foot of LMR-400 from the preamp to the radio.

One sidenote: 25w is not very much power to operate long distance on 2m. I typically run 120-150w.

73, Ed - KL7UW