That is my recollection as well. The standard was 1/8" for a long time,
originally as a mono connector, until many personal electronics products
manufactured outside of the USA started showing up with 3.5mm plugs & jacks.
Had they wanted to adopt the existing standard but use metric naming, it could
have been called 3 mm (.118"). I just mic'd a plug on a B&O (Danish company)
earphone set at .1377" (3.5 mm x .03934 = .13769").

73 de Dennis KD7CAC
Scottsdale, AZ