Further to my message attached - I decided to download the KPA500 Remote
Software and see if it would work just using the same transparent COM1 channel
I had been using for the KPAUtil approach - and it seems to work just fine.  It
only took a few seconds to cycle thru a number of Com ports until it found Com1
and connected to the remote KPA500.

The only minor glitch so far is that I tried out the Mini Mode display (which
was ok) but when I switched back to the normal sized display, the “AMP ON”
label at the bottom of the screen has been cut off.

This new software provides a much nicer display of the operating parameters and
the bar graph presentation is much easier to read at a glance.  Looks like
another very useful product from Elecraft.  Many Thanks

73,  Doug  VE3MV