You could use Task Scheduler (if you have a Windows 7 PC) to initiate
a batch file that copies the shutdown command out to the correct COM
port for your K3.  The scheduler list can have one or more entries
that will run at Windows shutdown time.  It can support many types of
trigger events.  I use the scheduler to run an NTP time check every 15
minutes, so that JT65 and WSPR have accurage time to work with.

You can read about Task Scheduler here:
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/schedule-task#1TC=windows-7

Not sure what other version of Windows have this facility.  Comes in
very handy for Win7.

73,
matt W6NIA

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014 12:17:02 -0400, you wrote:

>I've got an APC UPS which will initiate a graceful shutdown of my PC when a
>power fail occurs unless I otherwise intervene.
>
>The UPS also keeps my K3 PS alive so that in theory I could do a graceful
>shutdown of that as well. I often leave my station powered on even while
>not in use (in test mode to keep cats from sending CW...) but a power fail
>makes the firmware in the K3 unhappy.
>
>I was wondering if anyone had any ideas of how to get DXLabs to send the
>shutdown macro to the K3 (as detailed in the programmers manual). It's not
>a program that is launched before or after Launcher starts the apps so I
>couldn't see a way to do it.
>
>Anyone have any ideas?
>
>Thanks
>
>jim ab3cv
>K3 #1210

>Message delivered to mzil...@roadrunner.com
Matt Zilmer, W6NIA
--
"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will
spend the first four sharpening the axe." -A. Lincoln