Jim Sheldon wrote:

I learned on a bug first back in 1961, before I even got my ham license
(Army radio operator) and when Hallicrafters came out with the HA-1 keyer, I
bought one and didn't look back for several years.
I got my license in '61 and used a straight key (surplus J-38) for a couple of years, and then got one of those Japanese bugs that Lafayette Radio sold in those days - wow, what a difference! I got pretty good with it, and used the bug for several years. Then I built a homebrew version of the TO keyer, and was converted instantly - never went back to the bug. Now I've got a good-sized collection of paddles and keyers. Last year I dug the bug out of storage and decided to give it a try again - after all, I was OK with it in the '60s. I almost got to the point where I'd be willing to go on the air with it, but after 40 years I've definitely lost the knack.

The other thing I did last year was set up a straight key for SKN - eeek. I never was very good with a straight key, and after all these years of non-straight-key-use, I've lost nearly all traces of that particular skill.
Thank heaven for keyers.

I used to worry that we'd all wind up sounding the same, what with the near-perfect code you can send with a keyer, but there are still enough little differences in fists even with keyers that you can recognize many individuals after listening for a few seconds.

/Paul
W3PH

--

/Paul Heller