Ron D'Eau Claire wrote:

In general the audio pots on  the K2 don't have a noise problem Dave. The
original design of the K2 audio gain circuit put demands on the audio pots
they weren't designed for which gave the impression that the pots were going
bad in early K2's. Wayne redesigned the circuit and I haven't heard about
any problems with noisy controls since.

I have to differ. The pots DO get noisy over time; it's just that the original audio pot circuit was especially sensitive to the slightest bit of noise.

I didn't make the audio mod for some time because I didn't have the problem. After a while I started to have it, so I made the mod. Now the noise is greatly reduced, but there's still a trace. I will get around to replacing the pot at some point.

My RIT control got quite squirrely after a while, and I replaced it. Now it's fine. The new pot I got from Elecraft seemed more substantial (the shaft appears to wobble less) and they may be using better pots now than in my K2 no. 709.

Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA
http://www.qsl.net/k2vco