Hans,

That sounds like the old WAOF (Weird At One Frequency) problem. That is the region where the PLL oscillator and VFO frequencies "cross paths" near 7185 kHz. See http://www.elecraft.com/Apps/Alert11_WAOF.html. Note that this alert refers to older version A K2s, you will not find C70 on your board.

If this is your problem, the audio signals will sound rather like they are 'under water' If you have something different, then ask again.

With a new K2 layout, that seldom happens, so check to be certain D16 is mounted flush with the board. In addition, the components mounted on the bottom of U4 (C88, RFC15 and C91) should have leads as short as possible - make certain they are connected to the correct pins. You may need to trim all leads in the vicinity of U4 so there is nothing that would act as an 'antenna'.

73,
Don W3FPR