I don’t believe the external transverter’s frequency stability is any better if
the K3 has the TCXO option.

I owned an XV144 without the optional TCXO option which I attempted to use with
meteor scatter, and was very frustrated by its constant frequency drift.  After
I installed the TCXO in the transverter, the frequency was slightly more
stable, but still not useful enough for my purpose.

Elecraft told me their external transverters are an older design which they
admit do not maintain the frequency stability necessary for the JT modes.

73 de Sebastian, W4AS